May 30, 2003
Humane Animal Control and Management
Humane Animal Population Management
- Humane Dog Population Management Guidance (International Companion Animal Management Coalition) For the Humane Dog Population Management Guidance in Spanish, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, Thai, Turkish, and Arabic, please visit www.icam-coalition.org/resources.html
- Humane Cat Population Management Guidance (International Companion Animal Management Coalition)
The International Companion Animal Management (ICAM) Coalition has published guidelines on how to manage dog and cat populations in the most humane, effective and resource-efficient way possible. These documents are intended for use by any government body or non-governmental organisation (NGO) involved in the management of dog and cat populations. Although there is no "quick fix" solution to the problems caused by roaming dogs and cats, these guidances outlines all the factors that should be considered and how comprehensive and sustainable interventions can be designed. The ICAM Coalition believes that the management of roaming dogs and cats is the responsibility of the government; however, NGOs may be contracted to design or manage components of interventions or may be asked for their advice. These guidances will support all parties involved in dog and cat population management to target support where it can be most effective and to make best use of limited resources. Visit www.icam-coalition.org to learn more about the ICAM Coalition.
- The Welfare Basis for Euthanasia of Dogs and Cats and Policy Development (International Companion Animal Management Coalition)
- Too many dogs and cats? The Problem of Stray Animals: practical and effective management methods (Foundation Mondo Animale Onlus) by Dorothea Friz.
- Troppi i cani i gatti? E´un manuale pratico per le amministrazioni che hanno problemi con cani e/o gatti randagi, Italian version
- Starting a Shelter–Issues to consider and alternatives to sheltering
- Starting a Shelter–Issues to consider and alternatives to sheltering, Arabic version
- Abrir un Albergue–Puntos a considerer y alternativas a un albergue, Spanish version
- Why Spay/Neuter is Important
- La Importancia de Esterilizar y Castrar a sus Animales de Compañía, Spanish version
- Fundamentals and Standards of Small Animal Field Surgery, recorded webinar (HSVMA-RAVS)
Mobile Animal Sterilization Hospitals and Clinic Protocols (Animal Balance)
- How to set up a M*A*S*H (Mobile Animal Sterilization Hospitals) Clinic, instructional video on YouTube (Animal Balance)
- High Volume, Low Cost, Big Impact: Spay/neuter clinic reduces intake at Mississippi shelter, article by James Hettinger in the magazine Animal Sheltering, November/December 2013
- Hohe Operationsrate, Niedrige Kosten und Grosse Wirkung: Eine Sterilisation- und Kastrationsklinik reduziert die Anzahl der Tiere, die jährlich in einem Tierheim im Staat Mississippi/USA aufgenommen wurden, German version
- Molti Interventi, Costi Bassi e Grande Impatto: Una clinica di sterilizzazioni/castrazioni riduce il numero di animali in entrata in un rifugio del Mississippi, Italian version
- Case Study of an incentive program to encourage the sterilization of dogs (and cats) and greater attention to animal welfare on Abaco Island in the Bahamas (Humane Society International)
- Messaging Spay/Neuter: Lessons from the Gulf Coast Spay/Neuter Campaign (The Humane Society of the United States) by Heather Cammisa, 2009. This report is the culmination of a two-year effort to understand what approaches are most effective to motivate people to spay or neuter their pets. Although the research occurred in Louisiana and Mississippi, U.S.A, this report can provide a model for those outside the United States to conduct their own research into this topic.
- A Blueprint for Canine Rabies Prevention and Control, a free online toolkit that takes you through the process of designing, implementing and evaluating a large scale rabies control program. Recorded webinar to explain the Canine Rabies Blueprint (Global Alliance for Rabies Control)
- Online library of downloadable rabies control educational material in many languages (Global Alliance for Rabies Control)
Papers and reports
- Challenges of Animal Protection on Island Nations, with Special Empasis on Dogs and Cats (Humane Society International)
- The Animal Birth Control Program, Help in Suffering, Jaipur, India (Help in Suffering)
- Disease Control through Fertility Control: Secondary Benefits of Animal Birth Control in Indian Street Dogs by Andrew J. Yoak, John F. Reece, Stanley D. Gehrt, and Ian M. Hamilton, 2014
- Regional realities: Impact of stray dogs and cats on the community; impact on the economy, including tourism; impact on livestock, wildlife and the environment. By Dr. Mark Trotman, Veterinary Services, Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development, Barbados.
- Observations on Animal Welfare in Eight Caribbean Territories, Focusing on Dogs, by William Fielding, The College of the Bahamas, Nassau
Report for the Pegasus Foundation, June 2004
- Dogs and Dog Control in Developing Countries (Humane Society Press) by J.F. Reece
Chapter in The State of the Animals III: 2005