February 27, 2015
Reports and manuals
- Harnessing and Hitching Donkeys, Mule and Horses for Work, 38-page illustrated manual by R. Anne Pearson, Timothy E. Simalenga and Rosina C. Krecek, 2003.
- Sharing the Load, a guide to improving the welfare of working animals through collective action, provides a broad explanation of approaches for improving welfare, looking at the specific context of different target populations in terms of welfare risks to working animals and the vulnerability of their owners’ livelihoods. In English, Spanish, French, Arabic and Hindi. (The Brooke)
- Invisible Helpers. 25-page report on women's views on the contributions of working donkeys, horses and mules to their lives, 2014. (The Brooke)
- The range and prevalence of clinical signs and conformation associated with lameness in working draught donkeys in Pakistan. Reix (nèe Broster), C. E., Burn, C. C., Pritchard, J. C., Barr, A. R. S. and Whay, H. R. (2014) Equine Veterinary Journal, 46
- Identifying behavioural differences in working donkeys in response to analgesic administration. Regan, F. H., Hockenhull, J., Pritchard, J. C., Waterman-Pearson, A. E. and Whay, H. R. (2015) Equine Veterinary Journal.
- The range and prevalence of pathological abnormalities associated with lameness in working horses from developing countries. Broster, C.E., Burn C.C., Barr, A.R S. and Whay, H.R. (2009) Equine Veterinary Journal.
Humane education curriculum
- My Community and Equine Wellness, Connections Curriculum - Helping to Build a Better Tomorrow by Taking Care of our Community Today (Humane Society International). The Connections Curriculum is designed to help students ages 6 to 10 understand the connection between the human and animal community across all domains of life. This unit of study focuses on the role that equines play in our world and lives.
Public outreach materials
- Remember to Look After Your Donkey, Horse or Mule, simple, one-color working equine care leaflet (National Council of SPCAs, South Africa).
- The Holiday Hooves Guide: 6 ways for holidaymakers to improve the lives of working donkeys, horses, mules and camels used in the tourism industry abroad, 2-page leaflet (SPANA).
HSI’s Resources for Animal Protectionists offers documents and videos regarding: Animal Care; Community Outreach; Equine Welfare; Euthanasia; Exotic Animals and Wildlife; Fundraising; Humane Animal Control and Management; Humane Education; Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues; Operation and Management; Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering; and Tourism.