September 16, 2014
Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues
The following resources can assist animal advocates with researching animal welfare/protection laws in their countries and drafting new laws:
- Animal Protection Index, ranks countries on their commitment to protect animals in their legislation, improve animal welfare and recognize animal sentience. (World Animal Protection)
- International and Foreign Law Research Guide, (Georgetown University Law Library) includes treaties, national laws and case laws.
- The United States Animal Welfare Act, which can be used as a model for other national animal welfare acts. The link on this page, Animal Welfare Act and Regulations “Blue Book,” has the entire text of the Act.
- Model Laws (Animal Law Resource Center) offers suggested language that can serve as templates for drafting animal protection legislation.
- International Animal Law, with a Concentration on Latin America, Asia, and Africa (Humane Society Press) Chapter in The State of the Animals III: 2005 by Neil Trent, Stephanie Edwards, Jennifer Felt, and Kelly O’Meara.
- Welfare Implications of the Role of Breed in Dog Bite Risk and Prevention by the American Veterinary Medical Association. This study provides data that shows the inaccuracy of targeting certain breeds in order to prevent dog bites.
- Police and Dog Encounters: Tactical Strategies and Effective Tools to Keep Our Communities Safe and Humane (U.S. Department of Justice) a series of training videos for police officers and law enforcement personnel.
Animal cruelty issues
- Animal Hoarding: Structuring interdisciplinary responses to help people, animals, and communities at risk (The Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium) edited by Gary J. Patronek, Lynn Loar, and Jane N. Nathanson, 2006.
- The Hoarding of Animals: An Update by Randy O. Frost, PhD, Gary Patronek, VMD, PhD, Arnold Arluke, PhD, and Gail Steketee, PhD, 2015.
- First Strike: The Violence Connection (The Humane Society of the United States) this booklet discusses the link between animal cruelty and human violence
- Understanding the Link Between Violence to Animals and People (National District Attorneys Association and ASPCA) a guidebook for criminal justice professionals by Allie Phillips, J.D.
- Developing a First Strike Campaign in Your Community
- Desenvolvendo uma Campanha Pioneira em sua Comunidada, Spanish version
- Организация Кампании Первого Протеста в Вашем сообществе, Russian version
- Developing a First Strike Campaign in Your Community, Arabic version
HSI’s Resources for Animal Protectionists offers documents and videos regarding: Animal Care; Community Outreach; Equine Welfare; Euthanasia; Exotic Animals and Wildlife; Fundraising; Humane Animal Control and Management; Humane Education; Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues; Operation and Management; Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering; and Tourism.