June 17, 2015
- Humane Education (World Animal Network), an overview covering the definition of humane education, its importance and how to implement a humane education program.
Humane education curricula
- Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare, a teacher-training program (Humane Society International).
The following manuals can be used as part of a humane education program to provide training to schoolteachers.
- Facilitator’s manual for teacher training: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare (with notes to guide the training session).
- Teacher/participant’s manual: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare.
- Sample lesson plans for teachers for Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare:
- Education on Animal Welfare (World Animal Protection): Education courses and materials for higher education and students ages 5 through 16.
- Guidelines for Classroom Education and Public Awareness on Responsible Pet Ownership and Rabies Prevention (World Animal Protection)
- Guidelines on Mass Dog Vaccination: Education and Messaging (World Animal Protection)
- Teaching materials about rabies (Global Alliance for Rabies Control): materials in multiple languages to help children understand the risks and how to stay safe.
Humane education materials
- Be Sensitive and Kind to Dogs and Protect Yourself (How to Avoid Dog Bites) illustrated booklet
- Be Sensitive and Kind to Dogs and Protect Yourself (How to Avoid Dog Bites), Hindi version
- Sea Sensible y Amistoso con Los Perros y Protéjase, Spanish version.
- Play it Safe with Dogs/Fuera de peligro en compañía de perros, a Spanish-English coloring book. Inside pages Front cover
- Pet Ownership flyer (AVMA) black & white, color
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version, black & white, color
- Pet Ownership brochure,
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version
- Caring for your dog factsheet (World Animal Protection)
- Cuidados Para Tu Perro, Spanish version
- Cuidados com o seu cão, Portuguese version
- IFAW Animal Action Education (International Fund for Wildlife) includes teacher and student resources on companion animals and wildlife in multipe languages including:
- "Cats, Dogs and Us" video in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Bosnian and Dutch, on Vimeo, YouTube.
- Dogs and Cats, activity book for children
- Perros y Gatos, Spanish-language dog and cat welfare book for children
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (gato) poster
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (perro) poster
- Pet health care and safety infographics to share online (DVM Multimedia)
- Take Care of Your Dog brochure (The Egyptian Society of Animal Friends
- Arabic version
- Friends for Life adoption poster in English and Arabic (The Egyptian Society of Animal Friends)
HSI’s Resources for Animal Protectionists offers documents and videos regarding: Animal Care; Community Outreach; Equine Welfare; Euthanasia; Exotic Animals and Wildlife; Fundraising; Humane Animal Control and Management; Humane Education; Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues; Operation and Management; Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering; and Tourism.