May 30, 2003
Communications and Humane Education
Communications and Community Outreach
- Creating Posters and Flyers (Community Tool Box)
- Developing a Plan for Communication (Community Tool Box)
- Messaging Spay/Neuter: Lessons from the Gulf Coast Spay/Neuter Campaign (The Humane Society of the United States) by Heather Cammisa, 2009. This report is the culmination of a two-year effort to understand what approaches are most effective to motivate people to spay or neuter their pets. Although the research occurred in Louisiana and Mississippi, U.S.A, this report can provide a model for those outside the United States to conduct their own research on this topic.
- Pets for Life (The Humane Society of the United States), a program that reaches out to people in under-served communities in the United States to extend free pet care resources, services, and information. The Pets for Life Community Outreach Toolkit provides downloadable tools for starting a similar program in your community.
- Preparing Press Releases (Community Tool Box)
- Preparing Public Service Announcements (Community Tool Box)
- Report on the Shelter Pet Project (DRAFTFCB, AdCouncil, Maddie's Fund and The Humane Society of the United States), this presentation describes the goals, strategy, and research behind the Shelter Pet Project, a U.S. media campaign focused on increasing the number of adoptions from shelters.
- The Economic Impact of Stray Cats and Dogs at Tourist Destinations on the Tourist Industry (Cats and Dogs International and Humane Research Council)
- Global Welfare Guidance for Animals in Tourism (The Association of British Travel Agents)
- Animal Mistreatment Deters Brits from Holiday Spots (Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad)
- Tourists' Reactions to Non-Human Animals: Implications for Tourist-Animal Research in the Caribbean (The Pegasus Foundation and The College of The Bahamas), report by Eleanor H. Grennan and William J. Fielding, 2008.
- Humane Education (World Animal Network), an overview covering the definition of humane education, its importance and how to implement a humane education program.
Humane education curricula
Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare, a teacher-training program.
The following manuals can be used as part of a humane education program to provide training to schoolteachers.
- Facilitator’s manual for teacher training: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare (with notes to guide the training session).
- Teacher/participant’s manual: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare.
- Sample lesson plans for teachers for Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare:
Humane education materials
- Play it Safe with Dogs/Fuera de peligro en compañía de perros, a Spanish-English coloring book. Inside pages Front cover
- Pet Ownership flyer (AVMA) black & white, color
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version, black & white, color
- Pet Ownership brochure,
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version
- Doggy Speak (World Animal Protection) a colorful booklet to help children learn about dog behavior and to minimize the risk of dog bites.
- The Unlikely Burden and Other Stories (World Animal Protection and Sasa Sema Publications) children’s book of short stories aimed to transform perceptions of animals in Africa.
- Caring for your dog factsheet (World Animal Protection)
- Cuidados Para Tu Perro, Spanish version
- Prendre soin de son chien, French version
- Kutyájának gondozása, Hungarian version
- Sayangi Anjing Anda, Malay version
- Arabic version
- Greek version
- Romanian version
- Russian version
- IFAW Animal Action Education (International Fund for Wildlife) includes teacher and student resources on companion animals and wildlife, including:
- "Cats, Dogs and Us" video in English, Spanish, French, German, and Dutch, on Vimeo, YouTube.
- Dogs and Cats, activity book for children
- Perros y Gatos, Spanish-language dog and cat welfare book for children
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (gato) poster
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (perro) poster
- Pet health care and safety infographics to share online (DVM Multimedia)