June 17, 2015
- Humane Education (World Animal Network), an overview covering the definition of humane education, its importance and how to implement a humane education program.
Humane education curricula
- Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare, a teacher-training program (Humane Society International).
The following manuals can be used as part of a humane education program to provide training to schoolteachers.
- Facilitator’s manual for teacher training: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare (with notes to guide the training session).
- Teacher/participant’s manual: Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare.
- Sample lesson plans for teachers for Protecting Our Tomorrows: A Teacher’s Role in Promoting Child Safety and Animal Welfare:
- Animal Mosaic (World Animal Protection): An overview of humane education resources including suggested curriculum, tools for teaching, evaluation and case studies
- Guidelines for Classroom Education and Public Awareness on Responsible Pet Ownership and Rabies Prevention (World Animal Protection)
- Guidelines on Mass Dog Vaccination: Education and Messaging (World Animal Protection)
- Teaching materials about rabies (Global Alliance for Rabies Control): materials in multiple languages to help children understand the risks and how to stay safe.
Humane education materials
- Play it Safe with Dogs/Fuera de peligro en compañía de perros, a Spanish-English coloring book. Inside pages Front cover
- Pet Ownership flyer (AVMA) black & white, color
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version, black & white, color
- Pet Ownership brochure,
- Tener una Mascota, Spanish version
- Doggy Speak (World Animal Protection) a colorful booklet to help children learn about dog behavior and to minimize the risk of dog bites.
- The Unlikely Burden and Other Stories (World Animal Protection and Sasa Sema Publications) children’s book of short stories aimed to transform perceptions of animals in Africa.
- Caring for your dog factsheet (World Animal Protection)
- Cuidados Para Tu Perro, Spanish version
- Prendre soin de son chien, French version
- Kutyájának gondozása, Hungarian version
- Sayangi Anjing Anda, Malay version
- Arabic version
- Greek version
- Romanian version
- Russian version
- Ukrainian version
- IFAW Animal Action Education (International Fund for Wildlife) includes teacher and student resources on companion animals and wildlife in multipe languages including:
- "Cats, Dogs and Us" video in English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Bosnian and Dutch, on Vimeo, YouTube.
- Dogs and Cats, activity book for children
- Perros y Gatos, Spanish-language dog and cat welfare book for children
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (gato) poster
- ¿Cómo ser un dueño responsable? (perro) poster
- Pet health care and safety infographics to share online (DVM Multimedia)
- Take Care of Your Dog brochure (The Egyptian Society of Animal Friends)
Friends for Life adoption poster in English and Arabic (The Egyptian Society of Animal Friends)
HSI’s Resources for Animal Protectionists offers documents and videos regarding: Animal Care; Community Outreach; Equine Welfare; Euthanasia; Exotic Animals and Wildlife; Fundraising; Humane Animal Control and Management; Humane Education; Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues; Operation and Management; Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering; and Tourism.