May 30, 2003
Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering
Alternatives to Sheltering
- Starting a Shelter–Issues to consider and alternatives to sheltering
- Starting a Shelter–Issues to consider and alternatives to sheltering, Arabic version
- Abrir un Albergue–Puntos a considerer y alternativas a un albergue, Spanish version
- Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters (The Association of Animal Shelter Veterinarians) also available in French
- Defining "Quality of Life" Within Animal Shelters: The Five Freedoms can serve as a guide to prevent suffering, article by Lila Miller, D.V.M., in the magazine Animal Sheltering, March/April 2008.
- Five Freedoms chart for animal shelters.
- Maddie's® Infection Control Manual for Animal Shelters (Center for Food Security and Public Health)
- Best Practices: Kennel Enrichment (Animal Farm Foundation)
- Behaviour, Enrichment and Rehoming Program for Confined Cats by Tamzin Barber, School of Veterinary Science, University of Queensland
- Calculating Your Humane Capacity, (ASPCA), webinar and supporting materials for organizations to determine their humane capacity. Part of a 4-part series on Length of Stay.
See Animal Care for more documents related to the health and welfare of animals in shelters.
Adoption and Fostering
- Adopters Welcome Manual (The Humane Society of the United States), free, downloadable PDF manual to help you expand your pool of potential adopters, increase both staff and adopter satisfaction with the overall adoption experience and ensure adopters succeed with their new pets at home. Written for U.S. shelters and rescue groups, but with strategies and tools applicable to anyone looking to place pets in loving homes.
- The Shelter Pet Project (DRAFTFCB, AdCouncil, Maddie's Fund and The Humane Society of the United States), is the first U.S. Public Service Announcement (PSA) campaign created to bring together animal welfare organizations across the country to increase pet adoption. This presentation describes the goals, strategy, and research behind The Shelter Pet Project.
- Report on Adoption Forum II (Petsmart Charities)
- The Influence of Message Framing and Issue Involvement on Promoting Abandoned Animals Adoption Behaviors by Nam-Yoon Kim (Hanyoung Foreign Language School). This study explores how message framing and issue involvement impact intentions to adopt abandoned animals.
HSI’s Resources for Animal Protectionists offers documents and videos regarding: Animal Care; Community Outreach; Equine Welfare; Euthanasia; Exotic Animals and Wildlife; Fundraising; Humane Animal Control and Management; Humane Education; Legislation, Law Enforcement and Cruelty Issues; Operation and Management; Sheltering, Adoption and Fostering; and Tourism.