July 5, 2016
Cardamon and Pistachio Chocolate Tart
For the filling:
400g (14 oz) Divine 85% chocolate, roughly chopped
2 tbsp Suma coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4-1 tsp Suma ground cardamom
2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
A big handful of Suma pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
For the pie crust:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20 cm (8 inch) pie tin.
2. Mix the ground flaxseed and water in a small cup and set aside. The mixture will gel after a few minutes, creating a flax “egg”.
3. Add the almond meal and brown sugar and lightly combine. Fold in the flax “egg”, melted coconut oil and olive oil. The “dough” will look quite wet and not at all like regular pie crust, and it won’t stick together like normal glutinous dough does, but it should be fairly pliable. Once the ingredients are mixed well, roll the dough into a ball and place back in the bowl.
4. Place the bowl in the fridge for about half an hour to allow the dough to firm up a bit.
5. Cut two equal square pieces of parchment paper; place one a flat surface and save the other for later.
6 .After the half hour has passed take the ball of dough and place it onto the parchment paper. Flatten the ball into a rough circle and cover it with the second piece of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, flatten the circle to about half a centimetre (0.2 inch).
7. Remove the top piece of parchment paper. Carefully flip the dough into the pie dish; or place the pie dish upside down over the dough and then flip it. Either way, press the dough into the pie dish and trip the edges. If any pieces of the dough happen to break off, it’s easy to patch together using your fingers.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are firm and slightly golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
For the filling:
1. Place all the ingredients, except for the pistachios, in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir gently until evenly melted.
2. Set aside to cool a little. When the base is baked and cooled, pour the chocolate filling into the base.
3. Scatter the pistachio nuts all over the chocolate filling. Leave in the fridge to set for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.