July 5, 2016
Mango Summer Rolls
Mildreds Restaurant London
90g (3oz) vermicelli rice noodles
100g (3oz) bean sprouts
1 large red chilli, trimmed and diced grated rind of 2 limes
12 x 22cm (9 inch) rice paper wrappers
1/2 cucumber, deseeded and cut into 5mm (1/4 inch) thick batons
1 small ripe mango, peeled and cut into 5mm (1/4 inch) thick batons
handful of mint, leaves picked
handful of fresh coriander, leaves picked
1 medium beetroot, coarsely grated
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
For the spicy peanut sauce:
200g (7oz) crunchy peanut butter
200ml (7fl oz) water
1 red chilli, trimmed and finely diced
juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar
4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1.5-cm (3/4 inch) piece of fresh root
ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
1. Cook or soak the rice noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain well and leave to cool. Once cool, tip into a bowl with the bean sprouts, chilli and grated lime rind and mix together well.
2. Wet a rice paper wrapper by dipping it in a bowl of water for 15–20 seconds until it starts to soften and become pliable, then place it on a clean work surface. Arrange a few batons of cucumber and mango across the centre of the wrapper, leaving a gap of 4–5cm (11/2–2 inches) either side for folding.
3. Add a few mint and coriander leaves, then a small handful of the noodle mix and grated vegetables.
4. Bring the bottom and top edges of the wrapper tightly up over the filling then fold the sides in over it. Continue to roll up tightly and place on a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining rolls and filling ingredients.
5. To make the spicy peanut sauce, put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Serve with the rolls.