July 5, 2016
Nutty Stuffing Balls
1 tin cooked beans or lentils
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
150g carrots, grated
150g celeriac grated
1 tbsp zataar
1 tbsp paprika
200g toasted nuts and seeds, roughly chopped
lemon juice and shoyu to taste
gram flour or breadcrumbs to bind
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
2. Mash the beans with a fork
3. Fry the onion for 10 minutes until caramelising, then add the garlic and fry for another minute.
4. Add the tomato puree and fry for another minute
5. Add the carrots and celeriac and fry on a high heat, adding the zataar and paprika as you fry.
6. When the vegetables are soft, add in the cooked beans or lentils and heat through.
7. Remove from the heat, stir in the chopped nuts and add shoyu and lemon juice to taste.
8. Add gram flour or breadcrumbs to help bind and then shape the mixture into small balls.
9. Roll in sesame seeds and roast at 180ºC for 15 minutes to firm up.