July 5, 2016
Sweet Potato Katsu Curry
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and soften on a medium heat for around 3 minutes, then add the carrot, turn up the heat a little and cook for 10 minutes until the carrot is soft and starting to brown. While the carrots are cooking, set up a breading station with your flour, egg and bread crumbs in separate bowls and turn the deep fat fryer on to 170ºC.
2. Bread all of your sweet potato slices by dipping them in to the flour first, then the egg, making sure it's completely coated and then the panko breadcrumbs, then put them on to a plate ready for frying. When the carrots are softened, add the flour and curry powder and mix in to the vegetables, then add a little of the vegetable stock to make a paste.
3. Add the vegetable stock, little by little until you have a saucy consistency, then add the soy sauce, honey and bay leaf, turn up the heat to get it boiling, then turn it back down and leave it to simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Deep fat fry your sweet potato in 2 batches for around 10 minutes each, until they're deep brown and cooked through. Once cooked, transfer the sweet potato to a plate covered in kitchen roll to absorb the oil, if you want to keep them warm, pop them on a tray and in to an oven heated to 100ºC.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the sauce, add the garam masala and stick it in a blender until thick and smooth. Serve your sweet potato with sticky white rice and salad and cover it in the sauce.