May 27, 2016
Avocado Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Slaw
Makes 8 tacos
2 cups (450g) shredded red cabbage
1 cup (225g) shredded carrots
2 green (spring) onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro (coriander) (plus more for garnish)
2-3 tablespoons plant-based mayo, such as Just Mayo
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup (60g) panko crumbs
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
Cilantro (coriander) (optional, for garnish)
Jalapeño (optional, for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. To prepare the slaw, combine the shredded cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate dish, mix the plant-based mayo, lime juice, agave, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix well. Cover and refrigerate while preparing the tacos.
3. Mix the panko crumbs, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish.
4. Slice the avocados in half. Using a spoon, go along the edge of the avocado, separating the avocado flesh from the skin. Then, slice each avocado half into 4 pieces. Dredge the avocado slices in the panko crumb mixture and place on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until breading turns golden.
5. Warm up the tortillas in the oven by placing shells directly on an oven rack for 3-4 minutes (keep an eye on them so they don't burn). Place 2 avocado slices on each tortilla and top with the cilantro-lime slaw, extra cilantro and jalapeños.