January 7, 2016
Baked Chickpeas with Carmelized Onions
4 pounds (1800g) white onions, sliced (about 16 medium onions)
1 cup (225ml) olive oil
1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
3 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon brandy (or vegetable broth (stock))
4 15-ounce cans (1700g) chickpeas, drained with 2 cups (450ml) of liquid reserved
1 tablespoon dried chopped rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Combine sliced onions, orange juice, 1/2 cup (115ml) olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a baking pan. Cover tightly and bake for one hour. Uncover, stir and continue to cook with lid half off for another 2 hours, stirring halfway through.
2. Stir the onion mixture, adding the brandy to deglaze the pan. If preparing this portion if the dish ahead of time, the caramelized onions can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
3. In a bowl, mix together the chickpeas, reserved liquid and oil.
4. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with the caramelized onions, rosemary, salt and pepper. Layer the chickpea mixture on top.
5. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) in a loosely covered dish for 2 hours, then uncovered for an additional 1/2 hour. Serve warm.