May 6, 2016
Magnifique Millet with Spring Vegetables
1/2 cup (115g) dry millet
1 1/2 cups (340ml) water
6 small red radishes
8 asparagus spears
2 fresh spring (green) garlic cloves
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup (115g) green (spring) onions, chopped
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1/2 cup (115g) shelled peas
1 handful of arugula (rocket) and/or mustard greens
1 handful of fresh herbs of choice
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 to 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the millet and add it to a small pot over medium heat. Lightly toast the millet for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the millet has absorbed the water but isn't mushy. Let the millet sit in the covered pot off of the stove for at least 5 minutes.
2. Rinse the radishes and cut off the tops. Halve or chop into pieces depending on their size.
3. Snap the asparagus spears at their natural breaking point, then cut the tender parts into small pieces. Peel or wash the carrots, then grate. Chop the garlic into small pieces or slice thinly.
4. In a small pot over medium heat, heat the coconut oil and add the green onions. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until the onions become translucent. Add the radishes, asparagus, carrots, spinach and peas and sauté for just another minute, so they are tender but still quite crisp. Turn off the heat.
5. Add the millet and mix together so the millet becomes warmed, but not hot or mushy. Top with the arugula and fresh herbs and, just before serving, add the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste.