December 17, 2015
Mushroom Lentil Shepherd's Pie
1 pound (450g) red potatoes
4 tablespoons Earth Balance or similar buttery spread
1/2 cup (115ml) unsweetened soy milk
2 carrots, sliced and quartered
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 ounces (170g) mushrooms of your choice, sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup (225g) peas (fresh or frozen)
2 cups (450g) chopped kale, chard or spinach
1 cup (225g) cooked lentils, any variety
1 1/2 cups (340ml) red wine
2 cups (450ml) vegetable broth (stock)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the potatoes with the skins on in salted water until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and peel if desired. Place the potatoes back in the pot with the buttery spread and mash with a potato masher, adding the soy milk 1/4 cup (60ml) at a time until desired consistence is met. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
3. In a large pot, sauté the carrots and onions in the olive oil. After 3 minutes, add in the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well until a paste has formed. Add in the wine and broth, stirring constantly, until the flour has dissolved.
5. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the kale, peas, lentils, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic and oregano. Stir and continue cooking on a light simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until the mixture reduces to a thick, stew-like consistency.
6. Pour into a 9x9 baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden.