June 3, 2015
Crispy Orange Cauliflower with Asparagus
1/2 cup (115ml) water
1/3 cup (75g) cornstarch
1/4 cup (60g) brown rice flour or all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground flax
1 teaspoon salt
1 small head cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets
1/2 cup (115ml) peanut oil
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons minced reserved green (spring) onions (see below)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 large oranges, juice from both, zest from 1
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons minced green (spring) onions (white and light green parts, save the dark green for garnish)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 garlic cloves
Salt, to taste
1. Combine the water, cornstarch, flour, flax and salt. Whisk into a smooth, thick batter and let it sit for 5 minutes. Toss the cauliflower in the batter and coat completely.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Pan fry the cauliflower until lightly browned and crispy. Drain pieces on a paper towel.
3. Pour most of the oil out of the pan, leaving a small amount to lightly sauté the asparagus for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Combine all orange sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. In a small pot, bring blended sauce ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 35 minutes until thick. Keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally so the bottom of the pan doesn't burn.
5. Toss the cauliflower in the orange sauce and serve over asparagus. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.