September 1, 2016
15-Minute Veggie Couscous
1 tablespoon, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
1 cup (225g) diced mushrooms, any variety
1 cup (225g) cubed zucchini (courgette)
2 garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup (115g) halved cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup (225g) cooked or canned chickpeas
3/4 cup (170g) dried Israeli couscous
1 cup (225ml) water or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
Handful of fresh greens
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Sliced avocado to taste (optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the onion is translucent.
2. Mix in the zucchini and garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the zucchini shrinks down. Add the spices and the remaining olive oil and mix.
3. Turn up the heat just a tad and add the cherry tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. After the tomatoes begin to blister slightly, add the chickpeas, couscous, water and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir.
4. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer lightly until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast, greens and fresh basil and mix everything together.
5. When the liquid has completely evaporated the couscous is ready. Top with slices of avocado or more greens and enjoy.