September 18, 2015
Red Quinoa and Sweet Potato Patties
Makes 10 patties
1/2 cup (115g) red quinoa, soaked in 2 cups (450ml) water for 6 hours or more
4 cups (900ml) water
1 teaspoon salt, plus salt to taste
1 medium sweet potato, cubed
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 cup (115g) walnuts
2 handfuls spinach
1/4-1/2 cup (75g-115g) brown rice flour
1 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 teaspoons coconut oil
1. Bring 2 cups (450ml) of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. Then add the soaked red quinoa and let cook for 10 minutes, until quinoa is mushy. Cover and let stand for another 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let the quinoa rest overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Bring 2 cups (450ml) of water to a boil and add the sweet potatoes. Cook until well done, about 12 minutes. Strain the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Then, mash the sweet potatoes and add them to the quinoa.
3. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and sweet potato mixture and stir to remove any water. Add the onion, garlic and spinach and stir until spinach has wilted. Transfer the mixture to a container.
4. In the same pan, combine 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with the walnuts. Roast the walnuts until crisp and carefully remove them from the pan. Let the walnuts cool and chop coarsely. Then, add the walnuts to the quinoa mixture.
5. Fold in the chili flakes, lemon juice and preferred amount of salt. Then, fold in 1/4 cup (75g) of the brown rice flour. The mixture should now be the consistency of pizza dough. If it is runny, continue to fold in additional brown rice flour until the desired consistency has been met.