October 1, 2015
1 pound (450g) fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1 cup (225g) chopped onion
1/3 cup (75g) chopped garlic
1/4 cup (small bunch) fresh chopped dill or mint
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
1/4 cup (60g) tomato paste, dissolved in 1/2 cup (115ml) warm water
1 cup (225g) medium grain white rice
3 cups (675ml) water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Sauté the onions and garlic gently in olive oil over low heat. Add salt, pepper, oregano and dill or mint. Stir well to combine. Then, add the tomato paste mixture to the pot and stir well.
2. Add the rice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. If the rice starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, lower the heat slightly.
3. Add the spinach and 3 cups (675ml) water to the pot and mix well to combine.
4. Bring the pot to a low boil. Then, lower to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes, checking to see if the rice is done at 25 minutes.
5. When the rice is completely cooked, mix well, cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes before serving.