October 22, 2015
Spinach Artichoke Pizza
Makes one 12-inch pizza
1 pizza dough, store-bought or homemade, at room temperature
1 15.5-ounce can (425g) white beans, drained and rinsed
4 garlic cloves, crushed and divided
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups (900g) coarsely chopped spinach
1/2 cup (small bunch) fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup (75g) almonds or walnuts
1 6-ounce jar (450g) marinated artichoke hearts, well-drained
1. Place the oven rack in the bottom position of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Stretch the pizza dough onto a baking sheet or pizza stone. Use your fingertips to form a rim around the perimeter of the crust. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
3. In a food processor, combine the white beans and two of the garlic cloves and process to a paste. Add the water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano and salt and pepper, if using. Blend until smooth.
4. Spread the white bean mixture evenly on top of the partially-baked pizza crust to within 1/2-inch of the edge and set aside.
5. In the same food processor, combine the spinach, basil, remaining garlic cloves and nuts and process to a paste. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and process until the pesto is smooth and thick.
6. Drop the pesto, by the spoonful, onto the white bean topping, spreading the pesto out slightly so it’s not too thick in any one place. Arrange the artichoke hearts on the pizza, on top of and in between the pesto.
7. Bake the pizza for an additional 5 minutes, or until the pizza is hot and the crust is nicely browned. Serve hot.