February 23, 2017
Chili-Rubbed Sweet Potato Tostadas
For the sweet potatoes
1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon lime juice
For the salsa
1/2 cup (115g) black beans, drained and cooked
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup (60g) onion (red or white), diced
1/4 cup (small bunch) cilantro (coriander), chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
Pinch of sea salt
For the crema
1/2 green (spring) onion
1/4 cup (60ml) plain non-dairy yogurt
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons water
For the tostadas
6 corn tortillas (or use store-bought tostada shells)
Oil, for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees f (220 degrees c). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2. For the sweet potatoes, place the potato cubes in a large pot of boiling water and parboil for 3 minutes. Drain and spread out on a kitchen towel to dry. Transfer the potato cubes to a large bowl and toss with the chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, paprika and lime juice. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Make the salsa by combining the beans, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of sea salt in a bowl.
4. For the crema, combine the avocado, onion, yogurt, lime juice, salt and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season to taste with more salt or lime, if desired.
5. To make the tostadas, brush each tortilla lightly with the oil and bake on a baking sheet in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes each side, until crunchy. They’ll continue to firm up as they cool.
6. To assemble, top each crispy tortilla with a little salsa, followed by the sweet potato, and top with a dollop of avocado crema.