December 20, 2016
Roasted Root Vegetable and Curried Barley Bowl
For the vegetables and barley
1 large sweet potato
1 large potato
4 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup (225g) barley
2 cups (450ml) water
For the creamy turmeric dressing
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel and chop all vegetables into pieces of a similar size. Place in a roasting pan or baking dish, toss with 3 teaspoons of the coconut oil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables have softened and have begun to caramelize.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and ginger and cook for 1 minute, until the seeds begin to pop.
3. Mix in the turmeric, coriander, cayenne and salt, then stir. Add the barley and the water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the barley is tender and all the water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork, cover and set aside until the vegetables are ready.
4. For the dressing, whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. If the dressing is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until thin enough to drizzle over and toss through the salad in the bowl. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
5. Place the cooked barley onto serving plates, and top with the root vegetables and dressing and serve.