October 30, 2015
Jack O'Lantern Stuffed Peppers for Halloween
1 cup (225g) millet
2 cups (450ml) vegetable stock
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 orange peppers, tops cut off
1 cup (225g) pasta sauce
1/4 cup (60g) nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup (75g) pine nuts, toasted
1 cup (225g) spinach, chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In a large, dry pot, toast the raw millet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until it turns a rich, golden brown. Add the vegetable stock, onions and garlic to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow it to sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
3. While the millet is cooking, place the cut peppers in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes until slightly soft, then pat dry.
4. When the millet mixture is done resting, gently stir in the pasta sauce, nutritional yeast, spices, pine nuts and spinach.
5. Spoon the millet mixture into the steamed peppers. Then cook the stuffed peppers in a covered dish in the oven for about 20 minutes.