April 4, 2016
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
1⁄4 cup (60ml) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1 15-oz can (425g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3⁄4 teaspoon mild yellow curry powder
6 cups (one bag) baby spinach, rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add water to a pot to about 1/8” depth and heat just until it starts to boil. Add onion, garlic and fresh ginger and cook over high heat until the onion starts to become translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric and cardamom, if using. Stir to coat the onion mixture. Add a splash of water if necessary — you want there to always be a good bit of sauce.
3. Add chickpeas and mix again. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring to coat the chickpeas, for a minute or so.
4. Mix in curry powder, stirring to combine. Add another splash of water, if necessary, and spinach. Stir the spinach around until it turns dark green and wilty.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.