November 11, 2016
Savory Mushroom Stroganoff
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cups (675ml-900ml) vegetable stock, plus more as needed
8 ounces (225g) portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
Pinch of cayenne pepper
8 ounces (225g) cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour, plus more as needed
1/2 cup (115ml) water, plus more as needed
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
8 ounces (225g) whole-grain rotini, fusilli, or other pasta of your choice, cooked and drained
1/2 cup (small bunch) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Put the onion and 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock in a large skillet.
2. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add more stock, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the onion becomes dry.
3. Add the portobello mushrooms, basil, tamari and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, adding more stock 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent sticking.
4. Add the cremini mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in 1 1/2 cups (340ml) stock. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, adding more stock as needed.
6. Put the flour and water in a blender and process until smooth.
7. Briskly whisk the flour-water mixture into the mushrooms. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid has thickened to form a gravy.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over pasta and garnish with parsley.