March 2, 2016
Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Spaghetti
1 red bell pepper
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 to 3/4 medium-sized onion
1 teaspoon canola oil
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup (225ml) unsweetened soy milk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 box spaghetti
Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) (200 degrees (C)). Poke a few holes in the red pepper and roast for about 30 minutes. While the pepper is roasting, peel and cube the sweet potato. Roast the sweet potato at the same temperature for 20 minutes.
2. While the other vegetables are roasting, chop the onion. Coat a skillet with the oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. When the onion has started to brown, add the chopped garlic cloves and cook an additional 30 seconds.
3. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. When the pepper is done roasting and is cool enough to handle, take the skin off and remove the seeds.
4. Blend together the pepper, sweet potato, onion and garlic until smooth, and drain the pasta.
5. Mix the sauce into the pasta, top with fresh basil and serve.