December 20, 2016
Warm Beet and Butternut Salad
1 small beet (beetroot) cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup (225g) butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon hazelnuts
2 tablespoons mustard vinaigrette
1 cup (225g) salad greens (arugula, romaine or mesclun)
1 handful baby spinach or baby kale
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Add the beet and squash chunks, coconut oil, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix until the veggies are coated.
3. Spread onto a baking sheet and cook for around 20 minutes, then turn the veggies and cook for about 10 minutes longer, until they are fork tender. If the squash is done before the beets, feel free to take the squash out of the oven while you allow the beets to continue to cook.
4. Toast the hazelnuts for a few minutes in the oven, then grind them in a food processor or smash with the back of a spoon.
5. In a bowl, mix all of the vinaigrette ingredients. Add the salad greens and mix with your hands.
6. Place the dressed salad greens onto a plate, reserving the extra dressing left in the bowl. Top with the baby spinach, and add the roasted veggies.
7. Drizzle a little more dressing over the top and add the toasted hazelnuts, parsley, pomegranate seeds, salt and pepper, then serve.