March 22, 2016
Warm Sweet Potato Kale Salad
5 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Lebanese 7-spice mix
1 15-ounce can (425g) chickpeas, drained and patted dry
Salt to taste
5 cloves garlic
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon agave
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons water
3 cups (675g) kale, torn into large pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and 1 tablespoon spice mix on a low flame for about a minute. Then add the chickpeas and salt and roast for another 1-2 minutes. Then transfer the chickpeas to an oven-safe tray, add three garlic cloves and set aside.
3. Place the sweet potato wedges on another tray. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon of the spice mix, salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Transfer both trays into the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Midway through, take out the chickpea tray, remove the garlic and shake the chickpeas to ensure even roasting.
4. Meanwhile, put the tahini, lemon juice, remaining garlic, balsamic vinegar, agave, salt and water in a food processor and blend until creamy.
5. In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Lightly sauté the kale by adding the leaves, 1 cup at a time and covering for 1-2 minutes. The kale should still have some crunch.
6. To serve, place the kale in bowls, add the chickpeas and sweet potato and drizzle with dressing. Serve warm.