July 1, 2015
BBQ Sliders with Caramelized Onions
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 head cabbage
Vegetable broth (stock), as needed
1/4-1/2 cup (60g-115g) favorite barbecue sauce
8 whole-wheat buns
Dill pickle slices (optional garnish)
1. For caramelized onions, cook sliced onion in a thin layer of vegetable broth until golden and translucent, in as little liquid as necessary, or bake until golden and crisp.
2. Remove core and outer green part from cabbage and discard. Slice white parts very thinly into long strands.
3. Line a large pot with a very thin layer of broth. Add sliced cabbage and cook over high, stirring constantly with tongs and incorporating until soft and tender, but not flimsy, about 2 minutes.
4. Drain off any remaining liquid, then stir in 1/4 cup (60g) barbecue sauce. Stir to coat, adding more sauce as necessary.
5. Pile the cabbage into bun with the caramelized onions and pickles, if using. Serve and enjoy.