March 24, 2017
Lentil Sloppy Joes
For the base
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup (225g) dried green lentils
2 cups (450ml) water
For the sauce
1/2 cup (115g) ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups (340ml) water
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
2. Add the pepper and onion and sauté until tender and translucent.
3. Mix in the lentils and the water and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. While the lentils are simmering, make your sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a medium pot and simmering over medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. When the lentils are done, mix the sauce together with the lentil mixture. Serve on toasted buns.