December 21, 2015
Gingerbread Oatmeal Bars
3 tablespoons flax meal
7 tablespoons water
3 cups (675g) rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups (450ml) vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (225g) chopped dates
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 banana, mashed
1/3 cup (75g) dark molasses, plus extra for drizzling (optional)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Agave for drizzling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) or 200 degrees (C)
2. Mix the flax meal and water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, chia seeds, ground ginger and cloves.
4. In another bowl, mix the almond milk, flax meal mixture, molasses, chopped dates, mashed banana and vanilla extract. Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients.
5. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole dish and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes.
6. Remove dish from oven and allow it to cool. Cut the oatmeal bars into individual servings. If you would like, drizzle with molasses and agave on top for extra sweetness.