August 18, 2016
Makes 12-16 fritters
2 cups (450g) dried lentils, soaked for at least 3 hours
4 tablespoons grated or finely minced ginger
1 garlic clove
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 bunch cilantro (coriander), roughly chopped, divided
1 teaspoon curry, paprika, or cumin (optional)
1 spicy chili, such as jalapeño, serrano, or habanero, diced small (optional)
1 small onion, diced
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
1. Drain the lentils from the soak water. Blend the lentils, ginger, garlic, salt and a handful of the cilantro in a food processor until mostly smooth. Then mix in the spices and chilies, if using.
2. In a large bowl, combine the lentil mixture with the diced onion and the remaining cilantro.
3. Heat about 2 inches of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
4. Using your hands, form the lentil mixture into golf ball size spheres and carefully drop them into the pot of hot oil (avoid splashing the oil). Fry for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Remove the fritters from the pot and place them on a paper towel to allow the oil to drain off.
6. Serve immediately with mango chutney, tahini or your favorite dipping sauce.