December 14, 2016
1 pint (450g) grape or cherry tomatoes
10 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped (keep two cloves intact)
Salt to taste
Handful of fresh basil, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small to medium onion, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked Spanish paprika
1 tablespoon minced oregano
1/2 cup (125g) tomato puree
5 to 6 cups (1125ml–1350ml) vegetable stock
About 1/4 loaf sourdough bread (exact amount will depend on your bread cravings and the size of your loaf), cut or torn into 2-inch pieces
Black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 450°F. (230°C)
2. In a large oven-safe dish, combine the cherry tomatoes, half of the chopped garlic (about 5 cloves), a generous amount of salt and a few of the basil leaves. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix, coating everything with the oil. Roast in the oven until the tomatoes are nicely wrinkled and blistered.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in the paprika, coating the onion.
4. Mix in the remaining garlic (chopped and whole cloves) and season with additional salt, if desired. Sauté for another minute, then add the oregano and remaining basil and give it a quick stir.
5. Stir in the tomato puree and stock. Add the roasted tomatoes and any oil, garlic and juices that are left in the roasting pan. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add the chunks of bread and simmer for 1 minute on low heat. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.