February 14, 2017
Comforting Veggie Noodle Soup
2 teaspoons coconut oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 large carrot, peeled, sliced into rounds
1 yellow onion, diced
6 cups (1,350ml) veggie stock
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup (115g) chickpeas, soaked for 10 hours (3 tablespoons dry) or canned
2 cups (450g) gluten-free pasta spirals
1 cup (225g) white mushrooms, sliced
1 cup (225g) kale, stems removed and chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt, plus extra to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Heat a large stockpot on medium heat, and then add the oil, celery, carrots and onion and sauté for 7 minutes.
2. Add the veggie stock, parsley, bay leaf and chickpeas to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover pot for 30 minutes until chickpeas soften.
3. While the chickpeas cook, boil some water in a medium saucepot and prepare the pasta spirals according to the instructions on the box.
4. Once the chickpeas are firm, but soft (not mushy), add the mushrooms, kale, salt and pasta to the soup. Season with extra salt if you like, and pepper to taste.
5. If you like, blend one cup of prepared soup until smooth and add back into the stockpot for more body.
6. Add the lemon juice, and serve warm.