September 27, 2013
Help Us (and Puppies) Win!
What is a puppy mill?
Puppy mills are dog-making factories where mother dogs spend their entire lives in cramped, barren cages or kennels. The dogs are routinely denied the most basic of their needs, including proper food, water, veterinary care and socialization.
Consumers who purchase puppies from pet stores or over the Internet without seeing a breeder's home firsthand are often unknowingly supporting this cruel industry.
Vote to help
We urgently need to create a landmark Public Service Announcement that will air coast-to-coast and educate the public about the cruelty of puppy mills. We want people to say NO to puppy mills by adopting their next dog from a shelter or rescue. When people "opt to adopt," we will shut down puppy mills forever.
You can help make this happen by voting now for our idea in a contest being held by the Aviva Community Fund. Update: With your help, we qualified for the Semi-Finals. We are so close—please help us keep going through this final round of voting!
Learn more and take action
Please vote for us and encourage your friends and family to do the same. If you've ever wondered what you could personally do to help dogs, now is your chance!
- Step 1: Go here and register to vote. Enter your email, select a password and click Register.
- Step 2: Confirm your account. Enter the activation code they give you.
- Step 3: Once you have confirmed your account, log in.
- Step 4: Enter HSI in the idea search box at the top right of your account page, or click here to read more about our idea.
- Step 5: Click on "Give a Dog a Second Chance–Opt to Adopt."
- Step 6: Click the blue Vote Now button.
- Step 7: Set a reminder on your calendar to vote every day until December 11 so that HSI/Canada can win!
- Step 8: (The MOST IMPORTANT STEP): Find two other people to commit to voting with you every day to help you make our idea possible!
NOTE: Only Canadian citizens can vote in this contest. September 20, 2013 was the first day to vote, and there are several rounds, with the winners to be announced on January 28, 2014. Please return to vote for us daily in each round!