February 15, 2012
Take Action to Stop Puppy Mills
Puppy mills exist because unwitting consumers buy puppies from pet stores and online, without ever realizing that they are contributing to this cruel industry. There are several easy steps you can take to help us stop this vicious cycle.
1. Visit your local pet store and encourage the store to become a Puppy-Friendly Pet Store. Store owners who sign and return the pledge which declares that they will discontinue selling puppies in their store, or those who "make official" a current policy of not selling puppies, will be listed on the HSI/Canada website. They will also receive materials to display promoting their decision and to educate their customers about puppy mills.
Re-visit! Make a follow-up visit to your local pet store or visit more stores in your community and ask them to sign on to be a Puppy-Friendly Pet Store. Work with your local store to help facilitate partnerships with animal shelters that will bring new business into the stores and increase the adoption rates of local shelters.
2. Sign the "Stop Puppy Mills" pledge for the public, promising not to shop at stores where puppies are sold. Then, please ask your friends and family to do the same.
3. Write to newspaper editors about the pet store/Internet puppy mill connection.
4. Join our "Stop Puppy Mills" Facebook Cause.
5. Donate to HSI/Canada to help end puppy mill cruelty. In partnership with the Québec government, HSI/Canada has already rescued hundreds of dogs from awful puppy mills in Québec. But an estimated 2,000 such facilities still exist in this province. We will not stop until we shut down these factories of misery, but we cannot do it without you.
Please donate generously to HSI/Canada’s Stop Puppy Mills fund. Every penny of your donation will help us rescue neglected and abused dogs from the worst puppy mills, set up emergency shelters, provide food and care, and help us lobby for stronger municipal, provincial and federal laws that will help shut down puppy mills for good. Give today.