December 28, 2012
HSI/Europe: 2012 Accomplishments
Thanks to your support, HSI/Europe is proud to have helped achieve the following victories for animals in 2012:
- Following HSI’s intensive campaign, on 22 November an overwhelming majority of Members of the European Parliament (566 to 47) voted to close loopholes in legislation to ensure an end to shark finning by European Union boats.
- HSI/Europe launched our EU horse slaughter campaign by releasing results of a survey in Belgium, France and Italy concerning horsemeat consumption and food safety issues and a retail investigation report on the sale of the meat in three EU Member States.
Animal welfare strategy
- HSI/Europe worked to raise awareness of the shortcomings of the European Commission’s new EU Animal Welfare Strategy 2012-2015, lobbying MEPs to ensure that the Parliament adopted a strong report on it.
- In March 2012, HSI/Europe addressed the European Parliament’s Petitions Committee and detailed our 20,000+ signature petition urging MEPs not to support the EU-Canada Free Trade Agreement (CETA) as long as Canada continues with its challenge to the EU ban on trade in seal products at the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
- HSI/Europe's director joined the Sociology and Welfare Expert Advisory Group of the three-year CALLISTO (Companion Animals multisectoriaL interprofessionaL Interdisciplinary Strategic Think tank On zoonoses) research project (funded by the European Commission), which deals with the role of companion animals as a source of infectious diseases for people and farm animals.