August 27, 2012
Jaipur Residents Urged to Take Pets with Them If Evacuating
JAIPUR, India— Humane Society International reminds residents of Jaipur to take their pets with them if they evacuate. Heaviest rainfall in the past 31 years in the city has resulted in flooding the in the region. HSI has been in touch with shelters in the affected area to assess the potential impact on animals and offer assistance.
According to news reports, at least 200 houses in and around Jaipur have collapsed and more than 2,000 people have been evacuated.
"It is crucial that residents are prepared to take pets with them when evacuating in the face of this potentially destructive flooding," advised Rahul Sehgal, Asia director for HSI. "If it isn't safe for you, it isn't safe for your pets."
Pet owners should have an emergency plan that includes the safety of their animals, and stay up to date about the potential for evacuation in their area. Pet owners should also have a pet emergency supply kit on hand at all times.
This emergency supply kit should include:
• Three-or-more-day supply of food in an airtight, waterproof container, and drinking water
• Bowls for food and water
• Current photos and physical description of your pets, including details on markings
• Medications, vaccination records and pet first aid supplies
• Comfort items such as a toy and blanket
• Small garbage bags
• For dogs include: leash, harness and a sturdy carrier large enough to use as a sleeping area
• For cats include: litter and litter box and a sturdy carrier large enough for transport
Additional information on disaster preparedness for farm animals can be found here.
For more tips on preparedness plans that include your pets, visit humanesociety.org/prepare.
Media Contact: N.G.Jayasimha, email@example.com
Humane Society International and its partner organizations together constitute one of the world's largest animal protection organizations—backed by 11 million people. For nearly 20 years, HSI has been fighting for the protection of all animals through advocacy, education, and hands-on programs. On the Web at hsi.org