Canada’s seal slaughter is a gruesome annual event where men armed with rifles and clubs invade the harp seal nursery to kill seal pups for their fur.
Ninety-eight percent of the seals killed are less then three months old at the time of slaughter. They are utterly defenseless.
Your donations help us to:
- Expose the cruelty of commercial sealing to the world
- Close international markets for products of commercial seal hunts
- Defend existing bans on trade in commercial seal products
- Promote a federal sealing industry buyout in which the Canadian government would compensate the sealers for lost income when the slaughter ends and promote employment alternatives.
- Prove that seals are worth more alive than dead by promoting marine ecotourism in Atlantic Canada
- Document seal slaughter when needed to build a substantial volume of evidence to wage our campaign
Why continued support is critical
Our campaign to stop the seal slaughter is a major endeavor because of entrenched political support for the slaughter. Our efforts to save the seals extend far beyond Canada to Asia, Europe, and the rest of the world.
Consider these facts:
- We’re fighting a powerful industry established for centuries with the full support of its government, and it will take a multi-year international endeavor to bring it down.
- Documenting the cruelty of the seal slaughter is logistically challenging and a large expenditure. Helicopters, video equipment and many other necessities of our expeditions require significant investment.
- We and our partners are campaigning in many countries to close seal product markets and defend existing trade bans.
- Thanks to your support, we are making significant progress against the seal slaughter. We now see increased political support for ending the commercial seal slaughter and a massive reduction in the number of seals killed each year.
- We believe a final end of this slaughter of baby seals is achievable and within sight. But this will only be possible with the continued support of people like you.
Can you help us reach the finish line with a donation to help seals and other animals today?