August 28, 2008
Bullfighting: How You Can Help
The following is a list of ways you can help end the cruel spectacle of bullfighting:
1. Never attend a bullfight.
2. Educate your family, friends, and coworkers, encouraging them to never attend bullfights.
3. Speak out against all government support for or promotion of bullfighting. If you are a taxpaying citizen in community where public funds are provided in support of bullfighting, call and write to your elected officials to let them know this is not acceptable. Encourage your friends and family to do the same. If you see a government-funded brochure, website, advertisement, or televised program that promotes bullfighting, contact the sponsoring government agency to register your strong objection.
4. If you learn that a company sponsors and supports bullfighting, call or write to its public relations department expressing your disapproval.
5. Flex your consumer muscle if you are planning to travel to a country that still allows bullfighting. Refuse to stay at a resort that is currently building or already has a bullfighting arena as part of its recreation facilities. Let the resort know why you are opting for alternate lodging. Refrain from eating at restaurants, patronizing tourist shops, or hiring local travel agencies that promote and advertise bullfighting. Let them know why. If you encounter a travel book that includes information on attending a bullfight, write to the publishing company and the author, asking them to remove this information in future editions of the book.
6. Anytime the topic of bullfighting arises in print, e-mail a letter to the editor explaining why bullfighting should be relegated to the past. Include a link to our bullfighting web page in this letter.
7. Support local animal protection organizations in countries where bullfighting still takes place.
8. Sign up to receive action alerts and other information from Humane Society International.