May 24, 2012
Help Stop Shark Finning
Every year, in oceans around the world, tens of millions of sharks are hunted to meet the demand for shark fin soup. Sharks’ fins are often removed when the animals are still alive; the sharks are then thrown back into the water to endure a painful death from suffocation, blood loss, or predation by other species.
Sharks are apex predators who play an essential role in marine ecosystems. The cruel and ecologically devastating practice of shark finning endangers their survival—and that of the species that rely on them.
How you can help
1. Never consume or serve any products containing shark fin.
2. Sign our No Shark Fin pledge here.
3. Live in the EU? Find out more about our campaign to end shark finning in Europe.
5. Donate to support our campaign.
6. If you see shark fin on a restaurant menu, ask the management to stop serving it. Click on the links below for Consumer Cards to print out and hand to restaurant managers [PDF]:
- English and traditional Chinese
- English and simplified Chinese
- English only
- Traditional Chinese only
- Simplified Chinese only
Please note, these PDFs should be printed out on one page each, back and front, in color, then cut out and folded. If you prefer, you can also order Consumer Cards by mail.
7. Send us the contact information of any business offering or promoting shark fin.
8. If you are hosting a Chinese wedding, celebration, or banquet, click on the links below for table tents [PDF] that explain why you have chosen not to serve any dishes containing shark fin:
- Wedding (English and traditional Chinese; English and simplified Chinese)
- Celebration (English and traditional Chinese; English and simplified Chinese)
- Banquet (English and traditional Chinese; English and simplified Chinese)
9. Be aware that consuming shark fin may raise health concerns, especially for children and pregnant women.
10. Distribute brochures [PDF] on ending the cruel practice of shark finning:
11. If there is a Chinese New Year celebration in your city, contact HSI for more information on how you can help.
12. If you own or operate a restaurant or other business that currently offers or promotes products containing shark fin, please sign our No Shark Fin pledge (English and traditional Chinese; English and simplified Chinese) [PDF]. Please mail your signed pledge to HSI. In thanks, we will send you a beautiful Friend of Sharks certificate.
14. Watch a video of an event planned by students in Hong Kong and then consider holding an event of your own.
15. Sign up to receive action alerts and other items from Humane Society International.