February 7, 2014
Adopting a Sochi Street Dog
The Sochi dog killing campaign has raised international interest in adopting street dogs from Sochi.
There are a number of local organizations that are taking in street dogs that have them available for adoption. Here, we offer some contact information for these local groups, as well as information about transporting dogs to other countries.
Please be aware that costs for transport of a pet can range from USD $150 to $2000 or more, based on accommodation and airline. In addition, some countries have strict quarantine policies.
If you are an American or other tourist visiting Russia, and are interested in adopting a dog from Sochi, you will need to ensure you do the following:
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control website to learn about all paperwork, vaccinations, etc. necessary for transporting a dog to the United States.
- If transporting an animal to another country, contact that country's embassy in Russia to find out more about its pet transport requirements.
- While still in Russia, visit a local, licensed veterinarian to obtain a health exam for your dog, along with the needed health certificates and vaccinations for your pet’s air travel and importation. Local veterinarians will also know where pet kennels can be purchased.
- Contact your airline ahead of time to ensure it permits the transport of pets (and reserve a spot) and what requirements are for boarding your pet. Reservations are often needed for your pet’s travel. Specifically approved airline travel pet kennels are often required as well.
Be sure to check with your airline for the details of their specific policies.
- Delta: Pets permitted
- United: Special cargo transport option, carry-on permitted only
- American Airlines: Pets permitted
- US Airways: Pets not permitted in cargo, carry-on permitted only
- Lufthansa: Pets permitted
Помощь бездомным животным г. Сочи (Help for Homeless Animals in Sochi) Private Shelter: Websites: i. https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogsochi/ ii. http://vk.com/club_sochianimals | Contact information: i. Vlada Provotorova: (0117)9882330615 (firstname.lastname@example.org) ii. Dina Filipova: (0117)89186001766 (email@example.com) iii. Lina Masunova: (0117)9649446644 | Locations: i. Adler district, Krasnodar Region, Russia ii. Baranovka district, Krasnodar Region, Russia
ПовоДог (“Povodog”) Private Shelter: Website for its parent charity: http://volnoe-delo.ru/en/ | Facebook page | Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org | Location: Baranovka district, Krasnodar Region, Russia
Добромир (“Dobromir”) Municipal Shelter: Contact information: i. Shelter Director Anna Urievna Vichkareva, office phone: (0117)8622682005 or (0117)8622680278 ii. General Director of the charity Liudmila Albertovna Sknarina. | Location: Shelter: Baranovka district, Krasnodar Region, Russia; Office: 13 Abrikosovskaya street, Krasnodar Region, Russia
“Lapa” Veterinary Clinic: Address: 10 Severnaya street, Sochi, Krasnodar Region, Russia | Phone: (0117)8622649258
“Kotopes” Veterinary Clinic: Address: 33 Chaikovskogo street, Sochi, Krasnodar Region, Russia | Phone: (0017)8622375948
“Aibolit” Veterinary Clinic: Address: 20/4 Golubye Dali street, Sochi, Krasnodar Region, Russia | Phone: (0117)9184093377
“Aldera” Veterinary Clinic: Address: 27 Tonnelnaya street, Sochi, Krasnodar Region, Russia | Phone: (0017)8622383899
“4+1” Veterinary Clinic: Address: 20 Yasnogorskaya st., Sochi, Krasnodar Region, Russia
Please support our life-saving efforts to help street dogs in Sochi and around the world.